Some people question his motivation for transitioning at the age of 65 to Caitlyn. Reflecting on Bruce’s complex personality coupled with unique contradictions, indicates that his decision to wait was wise. He understood what he needed to do to prepare himself, his children, and the public to receive Caitlyn. Unlike many who transition and then commit suicide, Bruce’s strategic approach incorporated safeguards to prevent suicide. He distracted himself from his fears. He focused on others including his family, his mission to positively change the transgender community, and crafting the Caitlyn brand.
Let’s walk in his shoes and her shoes to experience the evolution of Caitlyn.
Bruce kept his desire to become Caitlyn a secret until the early seventies when his first wife Christie Crownover noticed that there was a rubber band on her bra. When she asked Bruce about it, he told her that he wanted to be a woman and that’s why he was wearing her clothes.
During his first marriage, at the age of 26, Bruce won the Olympic Decathlon Gold Medal with the title World’s Greatest Athlete. Winning the gold medal did nothing to make him feel that he was a successful man. In fact, his desire to become a woman became stronger. Visualize his Olympic achievement as the tipping point. From that time onward, Bruce crafted two brands concurrently.
Publicly, he played the role of Bruce the gold medalist and privately he practiced with the precision of an Olympian to become Caitlyn. As Bruce, he wore a bra and pantyhose under his suit to professional meetings and presentations. After his divorce from Christie, he married two more women: Linda Thompson and Kris Kardashian. Bruce continued practicing to become a woman which also included taking hormones.
What finally convinced him to transition? A series of events set the stage for Caitlyn.
- Before training for the Olympics he learned that he had gender dysphoria. Simply stated: he was a woman trapped in a man’s body. When your body doesn’t match your image it leads to stress, anxiety, and depression. Winning the Olympics, strengthened his desire to become a woman not a man. He accepted gender dysphoria, with the ultimate goal of transition.
- Early in his marriage to Kris Kardashian, she started managing his floundering career. When the Kardashian reality show was launched in 2007, Kris became the breadwinner which negatively impacted their marriage. When they divorced in 2014, after 23 years of marriage Bruce, at age 65, started taking steps to transition again, after stopping hormones in the past.
- When TMZ contacted Bruce asking him to confirm his consultation to have a tracheal shave, he pleaded with them not to make the announcement, but they proceeded to do so. This announcement was another critical tipping point moving toward transition.
- Told each child separately his true gender identity.
- Publicly announced to an audience of 16.9 million on his Diane Sawyer interview that he would transition to become a transgender woman.
- Spent 10 hours in surgery to become Caitlyn.
- Interviewed by Vanity Fair for the July 2015 cover story “Call me Caitlyn” which included a fascinating array of photos and a striking cover.
- Debuted Caitlyn on Twitter which resulted in more that 1 million followers in 4 hours, setting a record exceeding Obama.
- Planned a reality show “I am Cait” which airs on July 26th on E at 9pm PST.
On July 15, 2015 Caitlyn Jenner will receive the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at ESPN's ESPYs on ABC. Past winners include: Muhammad Ali, Nelson Mandela, and Billie Jean King. Caitlyn Jenner will join this illustrious group.
The Caitlyn Jenner brand will continue to explode but Bruce Jenner will not be forgotten. As a WIN Without Competing! woman with the Right Fit Gender, the opportunities for Caitlyn Jenner to become a billionaire will follow.
Listen to Caitlyn Jenner: A Billion Dollar Brand?
What about your brand?
Jenner crafted the Right Fit Brand to match her Right Fit Gender identity. Does your brand match who you are?
Call Dr. Arlene to discuss your brand. 310-443-4277
Corporate Office Address:
barro global search, inc.
10940 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles CA, 90024
Dr. Arlene & barro global:
After holding high-level healthcare executive positions and making significant innovative contributions with global impact, Dr. Arlene entered the world of executive search and tested her Right Fit Method. She was setting the stage to become an entrepreneur.
In 2003, Dr. Arlene, creator of the Right Fit Method and Right Fit Branding Strategies, founded barro global search, inc. a retained executive search firm, to design innovative search solutions for corporate clients. After her book WIN Without Competing! was published, Dr. Arlene expanded the services of the firm, which now has three divisions.
Dr. Arlene, a behavioral educational psychologist, is a UCLA-trained PhD with distinction for her doctoral dissertation on creativity. Innovation, Contribution, and Impact characterize her career.
See the book
Use the 5-Star App iBrandU4Hire
Listen to more than 90 radio shows on iTunes
Contemplate Career Coaching
Consider Business Consulting
barro global search, inc.
WIN Without Competing!
About Dr. Arlene
Dr. Arlene, business and career strategist, consults with clients coast-to-coast and places candidates globally.